2022-23 Programs & Meetings
THEME: AGING WITH GRACE AND WISDOM
For further information on any of the below programs, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. All programs are held in Brainerd unless otherwise noted.
Our Next Program – Monday, September 12 – 6:30 pm
Monday, September 12, 2022, 6:30 pm
Move and Be a Winner
Karen Buckhouse, Exercise/Health Business Owner
NORTHLAND GET TOGETHER – Saturday, October 8, 2022 – 9:30 am – 2 pm -Regional AAUW Gathering – Northland Arboretum, 14250 Conservation Drive, Baxter.
Susan Beaulieu Jan Kurtz
The time for the NE Minnesota AAUW Branches to meet is just around the corner. The keynote session, “Intersectionality of Indigenous and Immigrant Racial Injustice Issues with Women’s Equity” will be presented by Susan Beaulieu, Bush Fellow, University of Minnesota Extension Educator, and member of the Red Lake Nation and Jan Kurtz, retired Central Lakes College Spanish and World Cultures teacher, author of Northern Shores Southern Borders, and organizer of Cultural Thursdays community awareness programs at CLC. In addition, we will network, and explore ways to advance women’s equity. A colorful fall floral finale is planned.
Monday, November 7, 2022, 6:30 pm
What Do We Know About LGBTQ+?
Tracy Lyons, Joey Halvorson, Jennifer Perez Krueger
Saturday, December 10, 2022, 1:30 pm
Cup of Christmas Tea
Rebecca Timmins & Membership
Saturday, February 18, 2023, 1″00 pm
Amy Gray, Kinship Executive Director
Saturday, March 11, 2023, 10:30 am
Honoring Our Elders & Branch 60th Anniversary Celebration
Monday, April 24, 2023, 5:30 pm
Having the Talk – A Gift to Yourself and Others
Virginia (Ginny) Knudsen,, Attorney
2021-22 Programs (Theme: Passion into Action( & Meetings Held
Monday, June 6, 2022 – 5:30 pm – Leadership/Women in Business – Tastes of Downtown
- Sage on Laurel, Sara Hayden Shaw
- Fancy Pants Chocolates, Nancy Williams
- Loide’ Oils and Vinegar, Lois Hensel
- Knotty Pine Bakery, Marie Kirsch
- Ya-Sure Kombucha
- 5 Rocks Distillery
- An overview by each owner describing how she turned her Passion into Action
Monday, April 25, 2022 – 5:30 pm – Leadership/Women in the Arts/Annual Meeting – Poets as Leaders – Poetry Reading – Laura Hansen, Poet
A Passion for WORDS – When I hold a pen in my hand I am like a tree ready to be tapped. Think of me as a Sugar Maple, having stored up last year’s sunshine, weathered the winter wind and snow, and now in the days of chilly nights and warming afternoons I am ready to let my collected light seep out and the pen is the tap that pierces my bark. Without it, I would hold in all the goodness and light, the venom and tears, the sights I have seen . I would hide under my canopy of leaves until summer waned and I would return to my winter sleep without sharing a thing. Instead there is this moment of opening, this pale sugary sap that you can tip your tongue into or hold a bucket under to take home and boil down to its essence and taste and taste and taste. (Excerpted from Ms Hansen’s web page)
Saturday, March 19, 2022 – Education and Training – Women and Mental Health – Cultural Awareness Presentation (Cultural Awareness, Discrimination, Ethnocentrism) – Clairabel Severson, PhD, LPCC
Saturday, February 19, 2022 – Economic Security – Womenand Financial Health – Women, Wealth and Wisdom, Tara Hemsing Woitalla, Thrivent
Saturday, December 11, 2021 – 10:30 am – Celebration – Children and Music
Monday, October 18, 2021 –Governance & Sustainability/Women in Politics – Being in Office – Jana Shogren, Brainerd School Board and Carrie Allord, St Mathias Township Board Supervisor & Chair of the Board
Monday, September 27, 2021 – Governance & Sustainability – Our AAUW Family – Post CoVid Transition, Reconnection, Welcome Back – Each member with facilitators Donn and Colleen
2020-21 Programs & Meetings Held
- Monday, June 7, 2021 – NCCWSL report (see NCCWSL tab) and Brainerd – Master Gardeners, Dave and Jennifer Lee Told how they and other master gardeners are working with Crow Wing Energized and the Brainerd Soup Kitchen to add fresh produce to their daily dinner menus. They explained how they “Made Lemonade out of Lemons”.
- Monday, April 26, 2021 Annual Meeting plus a special reading by an AAUW Life Member
- Thursday, March 18, 2021 – Virtual Special Program – Betty Folliard – Betty Folliard is founder of ERA Minnesota and a former three-term member of the Minnesota House of Representatives. The Central Lakes College and League of Women Voters were co-sponsors of the event. This program was open to the public and recorded. All are welcome to view it at: https://minnstate.zoom.us/rec/share/dISQ99MVolGnvfOIIucpY0vCFk-56Nepnbj9Afk GHb-AqzjJihx9ctxbY0ny_c-o.pJss4pPOu7kc8opa
- Monday, March 15, 2021 – Steering Committee Meeting
- Saturday, February 20, 2021 Update on Creating a Sustainable and Effective Solution to Homelessness in the Brainerd Area presented by Captain Joyce Curran of the Brainerd Salvation Army.
- Saturday, December 5, 2020 Multi-cultural Music and Special Songs performed by Rebecca Timmins, our own branch member.
- Monday, November 16, 2020 Steering Committee Meeting
- Monday, October 26, 2020 Dirt – a pilot film, by Hannah Warling, which portrays the human trafficking of Native Americans. Warling is a screenwriter and producer from Minnesota.
- Monday, September 28, 2020 Women in the Corporate Environment presented by Angela Busch, Ecolab EVP
2019-20 Programs & Meetings Held
- June 30, 2020, Steering Committee Meeting – Held virtually
- June 8, 2020, Annual Meeting – Held virtually. Angela Busch, Ecolab EVP, who had been scheduled to speak at the June 8th meeting, will speak on the Rise of Women in Corporate America at a future meeting.
- April 27, 2020, Annual Meeting 5:30pm, (Postponed until June 8)
- March 19th, Betty Folliard on Women’s Rights and the ERA. (Cancelled due to CoVid 19) Betty is a former MN State legislator who served Hennepin County from 1997-2002. 1:00 pm and 5:30 pm In collaboration with League of Women Voters and Central Lakes College
- March 9th, 7 pm Jeannette Rankin First Woman Elected to Congress, performed by J Emily Peabody at Chalberg Theater, Central Lake College In collaboration with League of Women Voters and CLC
- February 22, 2020 – Tour of WeARE Clinic with a presentation by Executive Director Becky Twamley
- January 18, 2020 – 13th annual BRAIN BUSTER Trivia Event 1pm
- December 7, 2019 – Holiday Celebration with bluegrass band “Steve and Friends” 11am
- October 28, 2019 – Tour of Mid-Minnesota Women’s Center and Alex & Brandon Child Safety Center, 5:30pm
- September 30, 2019 – “Our Mississippi Our Future” by Eleanor Burkett of The Nature Conservancy, 5:30pm